Thursday, February 7, 2008

CNY Balik Kampung

Happy Chinese New Year everyone. Wishing all my readers a happy and prosperous year of the rat. I am currently blogging from my hometown. I'll be staying here for the next 2 days.

As usual every chinese new year, I and my family would travel back to my hometown in 'Pekan Nenas', Johor. For those of you whom are curious to know where in the world this god forsaken town is, It is located near the southern most tip of peninsular Malaysia.



Being here isn't the problem, getting here on the other hand is mind torturing. Why? Cause its a four hour long journey from PJ through the North-South Express Highway. "Express" my foot, Samy Vellu did a bad job in naming this highway, or did he not?



Four hour long journey with good scenery isn't that bad, but nooo~!!!! All I ever do see on the highway is Oil Palm Trees.



The whole entire highway is infested with them. There's palm trees here, there, everywhere. I see nothing but palm trees through out the whole journey.



I got so bored I even tried counting them



I wouldn't really call my 'kampung' a typical kampung as it is well developed. Not as developed as PJ but it somehow resembles 'Old Klang Road'



As KL is identified with the Petronas Twin Towers, Pekan Nenas is identified with its giant pineapple in the heart of the town.



It is a tradition of the chinese to have a grand reunion dinner/feast with family members on New Years Eve.



So much for grand reunion dinner/feast.

The best part about celebrating the new years here is when night falls.

At the tick of the new year, countless fireworks were launch into the sky which then brightens and colours the dark sky. The spectacular view of the fireworks display is breath taking.



Watching alone wasn't satisfying, we decided to join in the fun. Though we may not have those huge colourful firecrackers, but its still enjoyable.



This year we really didn't bother about the police. As we know the elections are near, I doubt they would take action. Heck, I even saw someone selling them infront of the police station and a few neighbours even launch a cracker into their facility. Man, the things they do to please us for our votes is very amusing.

Stay tune for part 2 of my chinese new in my hometown.

1 comment:

Stanley said...

SOunds like FUN!!! Very good sense of humour too and a good pinch of sarcasm:) Happy Chinese New Year!